Lately, I’ve been looking for some cooking and baking crafts to do with the kid. Last week I came across this super-cute and super-easy recipe for Turkey Cupcakes on HGTV.com. This weekend, he and I dusted off our cupcake pans and got to work.
What You’ll Need
- Chocolate cake mix
- Vanilla frosting
- Chocolate frosting
- Yellow round candy (like M&M’s or Reese’s Pieces)
- Candy corn
- Orange mini chocolate or butterscotch chips
- Black edible-ink marker
- Brown cupcake liners
- Piping bag and tip or plastic sandwich bag with a cut corner
Baking the Cupcakes
- Follow the directions on the cake mix box.
- Once the cupcakes are done baking, let cool for 20 minutes or so.
Frosting & Decorating the Cupcakes
- Use vanilla icing first and put on as flat as possible.
- Then fill the piping bag with chocolate icing and pipe a smaller circle on top of the vanilla icing.
- Once you have both the vanilla and chocolate icing on top of the cupcake, add the yellow Reese Pieces on top of the chocolate in the center.
- Then use the black edible-ink marker to draw on the eyes (we didn’t have one, so I used dots of chocolate icing).
- Once you have the eyes drawn on, use the mini butterscotch chip as the turkey’s beak (I couldn’t find mini, so I bought regular size and cut off the top to use).
This was a really fun project for the kid and me to do together. We had a great time and the cupcakes were so good.
S/n: Since the decorating was so time consuming, I only did six of them turkey style. I frosted the other 12 half chocolate and half vanilla. So good.
Disclosure: Affiliate links used.